Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I didn't want to do it...

...but I feel some feeling of responsibility to give my views about the recent story of the birth of Octuplets.

I've taken time to respond to this because I do not want to offend or lecture. But in general I think that we should worry less about a woman who has, thus far, cared for all of her children - albeit with some help from the government. I know that many feel she made a terrible choice to have these 8 children - but in truth, did she really do something SO awful to warrent death threats and people refusing to help her? How does refusing to help her, help the children that everyone seems to be so concerned about? I am not saying I don't have concerns about how she will care for these 8 new babies, I do. But, I don't have to worry about it too much. I will never be her social worker. And right now, there are many many children coming through my office that ALREADY have been hurt, abandoned, or neglected.

So, I give you this post by another blogger who pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole situation: http://atlasien.blogspot.com/2009/02/octuplet-rage.html

I especially agree that no one should wish foster care on ANY child. I believe the foster care system is neccesary and well intentioned. But let me assure you it is also dangerous and harmful. I'd rather see people rally around this woman (no matter how much we wish she hadn't made this choice) and make sure that these children are taken care of well. By wishing harm or refusing support for this woman, it is the children who will end up suffering more. Just my 2 cents.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link and your post.It did shed some light on this matter.I felt ashamed for being so partial.We have no right to judge someone...especially when it concerns a stranger.Instead of wasting our time and energy on the negatives of others, we should utilize the precious time we have to better ourselves.So a big thank you!

    As for the layout, the photo is beautiful but the layout is not reader-friendly.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!