Saturday, October 10, 2009

if you can't say something nice...

Don't say anything at all.

And while I'm hurling cliches at you:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And:

You can catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar.

What am I getting at here?

I appreciate that there has been quite the heated debate going on here on my blog over the last few days. And I certainly appreciate those of you who have defended me as well as social workers in general. Those of you who are regular readers know how I feel about your roles in the system as well. It does not bother me to be questioned and my work scrutinized. I write a public blog and do not expect every person who comes across it to agree with everything I write. I know that many people feel negatively about social workers.

While I don't mind spirited (okay downright heated) debates, there comes a time when we must concede that we cannot always agree and that the argument is going no where. I believe we have reached that point.

Divotdawg and I are communicating via email and that conversation is civil and hopefully becoming productive for both of us.I would appreciate it if everyone would respect my wishes to allow this blog to calm down for a while. I know that I love to have the last word too- but sometimes it just serves no one.

Now, I've offered the honey and hope you'll honor my request to let this subject drop. But if not, I will unfortunately have to get out the vinegar and start moderating comments... And I REALLY don't want to resort to that!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, let's clear the blogging air with some jokes!

    A grasshopper walks into a bar.

    The bartender says, "Hey, we have a drink named after you!"

    The grasshopper looks at him, puzzled, and says, "You've got a drink named Doug?


    Lame, I know. That's the only joke I ever remember. My 8-year-old nephew has some great ones, but I'm terrible at remembering them.

    Let's hear your jokes - the sillier the better! But keep it clean, kids...Socialworker24/7 is not kidding around about that vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go with comment moderation after a few particularly difficult situations. I honestly don't regret it for a moment.. but I do know how it feels..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ones view of the world is typically shaped by the experiences they've had. It's probably hard for somebody who has been totally screwed by the system which you work for to see things from your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right LK. And to try to respect other people's perspectives I've requested to carry on these conversations through email so that more feelings aren't hurt or old wounds opened up. I hope everyone understands.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!