I was at a training last week and we did this activity there. I thought it was really powerful in the training and wanted to share it with all of you. So, I'd love it if you's participate in a little exercise with me...
Please grab a piece of paper (or open up a Word document!) and number your paper 1-10. Don't worry, its not a Pop Quiz and I won't grade it!
Next to each number listed, please write your answer. Don't use the same answer twice! You may answer as you would at the age you are now, or as you would have answered them as a child:
- If you have siblings, write down their names.
- Write the name of your closest relative or family member.
- Write the most significant role you hold in life. (wife, father, teacher, etc)
- Write the name of an imporant support system. (church, team, etc)
- Write the word "Home" and where it is (current house, parents' house, hometown, etc)
- Write your racial or ethnic heritage.
- Write down a special tradition, cultural or religious belief, or value that is important to you..
- Write down your favorite activity.
- Write down your favorite belonging (can NOT be a person).
- Write the name of a person (that you know IRL) that you look up to.
- Write the name of someone who you can always talk to (not one listed above).
Here are my answers:
- Jason, Leah
- J.B. - close family friend
Please keep your list with you and check back here later for the next part of the activity.