Friday, December 4, 2009

Best of the Best


I've been wanting to try out something new here on the ol' blog. I read so many blogs during the week (read: probably too many!) and get so much great information from them. I always save them and think about blogging my thoughts later.

But then time gets away from me and they build up and I forget. :(

So, I am going to try to periodically (maybe once a week?) do a "highlights" and link to some great posts I've read recently. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them and will answer/reply in the comments too. Perhaps we can get a little conversation going? :)


So, here's the first "Best of the Best"!

Lisa, over at the Grateful House had an AMAZING post about trauma - I especially appreciated the information about the effects of trauma on children that are 'pre-verbal'. So many times I have heard parents, foster parents, and even other social workers express frustration about a child who is acting out - even though they haven't been in an abusive placement since they were infants or toddlers. I've been reading a lot about how trauma is stored in the body, how it can become like a reflex to 'overreact' to triggering stimulus, and how this can start from the womb. Its a long post - I printed it out to read it - but GREAT information.

Mama K shared some absolutely awesome information about a new type of service dog for children with FASD. I am a huge fan of using dogs (and other animals) as therapy for children with a variety of cognitive, emotional AND behavior issues. I once had some children placed in a group home that utilized dog therapy. Dogs are absolutely marvelous at helping children learn all kinds of skills - responsibility, self control, and social skills to name a few.

Heather, from Production, not Reproduction made up a list of books that are good to share with grandparents to help explain open adoption. The books aren't actually just for grandparents - they'd be good for anyone who needs a little help understanding the ups and downs, ins and outs of open adoption.

Dawn, whose blog I just started reading recently, wrote about her thoughts on dealing with some "intrusive/inappropriate" comments regarding children in transracial adoptions. I found her especially insightful when she muses about whether or not being offended is the best response to model for the child. Also, she makes a good point about assuming the best about people who question - instead of the worst.


And last but not least, Therapydoc writes an insightful post about the dynamics behind how a 16 year old could be gang-raped at her high school homecoming while more than 20 people stood by and watched... and took pictures. I admit that when I first heard this story, my mind completely shut down. As much as I enjoy trying to figure out what is going on in a person's mind... I just couldn't even begin to understand how something like this happens here. Thanks Therapydoc for putting some perspective on it for me.


So, that's my weekly round up - I hope you all enjoy and get as much out of these posts as I did - please let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Life is so busy for all of us - it is great you are willing to share some great posts and send us off in the right direction. Cliff Notes for Bloggers in a way.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for turning me onto new cool blogs. More to learn.....

    Also appreciate the mention. That was the longest post ever and I'm so impressed you made your way through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great links! This is a terrific idea.

    Hope you are feeling better :-)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently found your blog, and I absolutely love it! I think this "highlights" idea is fantastic! It will be a great way to discover new blogs and formulate new thoughts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!