There are 463,000 children currently in out of home care - that number makes my heart hurt.
- Send a "Shout Out of Encouragement" to a foster youth or foster care alumni through Foster Care Alumni of America
- Send a care package to a foster care alumni attending college through Orphan Foundation of America
- Help young people in foster care (and their caregivers) improve their financial literacy and gain practical money management skills with Foster Youth Money Guides .
- Become a licensed respite care provider as a way of providing support to foster families in your neighborhood. Contact National Foster Parent Association
I thought it was a perfect promise for those that would like to see less children in foster care.
So, I promise to:
- Notice when parents need help and offer it.
- Notice when children need help and provide it.
- Introduce myself to, or reconnect with, my neighbors.
- Protect young children from scary or violent movies or music.
- Protect children from violent events.
- Let children see me solve problems calmly and without violence.
- Encourage children to express their feelings.
- Support rules and efforts that keep children safe.
- Seek help when I need it.
- Encourage someone else to make the same promises.