Monday, February 14, 2011

You just never know

5 years old...
Diagnosed with RAD...
11 foster home homes

Her very first foster mom called my office today because she had just gotten around to responding to a letter I had sent her a number of months ago. Back when I did Lifebook work, I would often send off letters to old addresses of foster parents to inquire about any pictures, momentos, etc that they might still have for a child's Lifebook.

This woman has the outfit she was brought home from the hospital in...
She documented all her 'firsts' ...
Countless pictures of her as an infant and toddler...

For all of you who have seen foster children come and go -  don't ever part with these items!! Give copies to social workers and new foster parents, but keep extras in case they never reach them. But hold on to them, please...

You just never know.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad for him!! That is huge, huge huge. We have one pajama shirt that came into care with Mara and we keep it hanging in her room where she can see it. I'm so glad this little guy will have something more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope(5) always asks for baby pictures from her first adoptive family and never gets them. I wish people would realize how much value those types of things have to a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness she found time to write you with that precious gift of connection for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so wonderful. We have a box of things along with a copy of all the photos, emails and other records that we have. Our agency talked a lot about lifebook's in our training but keep nothing as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just (this morning while getting dressed) wondering if someone sometime would ask me to bring in something representing my oldest memory. It is (and yes I still have it) a stuffed dog with the details written in (very faded) including name, weight, time, doctor, nurses.... I am so lucky to not have lost this.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! My godson was adopted at two and a half, and he always wanted baby pictures of himself. It was the one thing that there was really nothing we could do about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so lucky to have continued contact with the family that had all my sibling group on and off for years. They forwarded hundreds of pictures and information. It has been invaluable to their healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Wow. That is so amazing. So glad that there are caring foster mums out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me and my kids when we have tracked down that lone baby picture. For a long time my now 11 year old (who came to us at almost 8 years old) had NO pictures of himself before us. The foster mom gave me 1 blurry shot of him. I tracked down with the help of one of his social workers the addresses for every placement he was in (14 of them) before mine and sent out requests. We got several pictures of him at different ages AND got to go back am "meet" some of those foster moms last summer. Priceless gift as we piece together his history...

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!