Monday, August 15, 2011

Abide

I've been trying to write the first line of this post for the last 20+ minutes, but there just aren't words for the injustices in life sometimes. The absolutely endearing Melissa, from "Full Circle", has been blogging about her journey for quite a while now. But if you haven't read her blog yet, here's the gist in her own words:


An ongoing tale of our most excellent (and terrifying) adventure yet.. adoption via foster care. This is a journey Darling Husband and I started with Nantie ("Nanny-Auntie" - a blessing from above) in 2007. She moved in June 2010, we miss her dearly and so appreciate everything she did for us and the kiddos.

We also have a herd of rescued canines, fear the Lord and laugh a lot.

In 1999, a year after my own mother passed away I found out I, myself, was an adopted county baby. Life has some ironic twists but we all seem to come
Full Circle.
Melissa is as sweet as the day is long and has such a heart for foster children. Although she and her Darling Husband (DH) started out with the hopes of adoption, they quickly became champions of foster care and have helped all of their previous placements transition successfully to family members. Even though she has eloquently expressed their sorrow at letting go of each of these children, Melissa has been firm in her support of the importance of doing what is in the best interests of the children in her care. I have so admired her spirit and determination, putting the child's needs above her own time and again.

Just 10 days ago, Melissa posted the joyful announcement that their wait was finally over. A judge had declared that their 2 current cuties would be available for adoption. After almost 4 years of fostering, they were the closest they'd ever been to finally realizing their dream of being a "forever family". Such a sweet moment for Melissa and her Darling Husband.

This weekend, tragedy struck.

Yesterday, Melissa tweeted that she was "Headed to the mortuary to make arrangements for my beautiful husband's services. Pls say a prayer for all of us-Is this really happening?!"

Today, she posted that her husband had suddenly passed away. While she is keeping the details private, she has requested continued prayers for her whole family. While Melissa has been reassured that the children won't be removed from her home, certainly their whole lives are in upheaval. I simply can not imagine going from such an amazing high last week, to such a devastating low.

ABIDE
1: to wait for 
2 a : to endure without yielding
b : to bear patiently

I'm not sure who started the Twitter hashtag (LavLuz?) and I don't believe it was a coincidence that I was just saying Friday how much I love the word "Abide". But I am asking you all to #AbidewithMel in whatever way you are able. Please, please, please send as many prayers, good thoughts, positive energy and the like in her direction. No doubt the next few days, weeks, and months will be some of the hardest she has experienced. And if I know Melissa (which I think I do, as much as I know any of my friends who live in my computer!) I am sure she is striving to stay strong for all her loved ones. Especially her two littlest loves - LittleBuddy and SweetPea. And if you feel inclined to support Melissa and her family in a more concrete manner - please visit her cousin Kadi's blog and donate whatever you feel you are able. But if all you have are those prayers and positive thoughts - no doubt that will be every bit as welcome.

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!