Saturday, March 23, 2013

Catch Up Post

So, what's been going on huh?

Well, work is great - when I'm not wanting to pull my hair out. People seem surprised when I tell them that I love my job at least 90% of the time. It is almost cliche in social work to talk about how stressful/frustrating/exhausting/insert negative adjective here our jobs are most days. But the reality for me is that even though it is all of those things, I still love it.

My team is awesome - even though managing five caseworkers (four of whom are relative babies in the field) is its own lesson in multi-level parallel processes. I love them though, they truly are the best team anyone could ask for in child welfare. This doesn't mean they are perfect, just that they are trying really hard. I respect them all for that so much.

My agency is another story all together unfortunately. We had a change in administration about 18 months ago and I can't say it was for the better. (Even though I didn't love our old administration, I did respect them.) So, office morale has been at an all time low recently. Luckily for me my direct supervisor is awesome and I generally don't get caught up in the other crazy. But it seems like I'm not going to be able to avoid it much longer. Some major programmatic changes are in the works and nobody is happy about it. Least of all me. We shall see how it shakes out...

I am still a resource family for voluntary temporary/crisis placements. I've had quite a few in the last year. Mostly babies but one two year old. I got a message at 11pm on Friday night that a 5 month old needed placement for the night. So, I drove past about a hundred people obviously just beginning a night of bar hopping in ridiculously high heels and short dresses to go pick up a baby from a rehab facility. The irony was not lost on me! I also couldn't help but think how much my priorities have changed in the last few years.

Being a foster parent - this is actually where most of my mind is these days. I still look anxiously at my phone a few times a day - willing it to RING. Last week it did, the day after my birthday, and they offered me my DREAM PLACEMENT. But I was second in line, and the first person said "yes". So, I cried a little, moped a lot, and was generally cranky for a few days. Now, I'll go back to waiting by my phone. At least I know they remember I'm on the list right?

I'll be blogging a bit about my thoughts on being on the other side of the child welfare divide in the upcoming weeks. It really has been interesting. I keep thinking about where this blog is going to go in the next year as I become a foster parent. I thought about changing the title or my pen name. But what is more appropriate than the reality that I will truly be submerged in social work (foster care) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week once I have a foster child placed in my home?? So, for now the name stays! :)

Also, I'm going to figure out what to do about this horrible Google Reader situation this weekend. Please send recommendations! I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hearing good things about NewsBlur and TheOldReader.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation! Please leave a comment!